Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A generation that doesnt understand......


Triple coupon week is always a fun week for the Avila family. During my shopping spree i had a coupon for mustard which, when tripled, was free! The mustard, however, was not the squeezable kind but the "older" style where a butter knife is required in order to spread the mustard. The day came when the kids wanted the mustard. The 13 year old yelled over to me that the squeezable mustard had run out and she wanted to know if she could use the other mustard i had purchased. I replied, "of course". "How do i use it?" she asked. I told her to use a butter knife as that was my preferred method. Only later would I understand that my words were apparently very "vague" for the 13 year old. When i walked back in the kitchen she had a butter knife in hand...unfastened the mustard....and was scooping the mustard from the glass container into the squeezable container! "what are you doing!" I asked. She said, "you told me to use a butter knife" to which I replied "To spread the mustard not scoop the mustard into another container!" She looked at me as though I had asked her to revert back to an 8 track player instead of using her MP3 Player and she said, "you mean I have to spread it myself?" I am indeed fearful for this generation. I have to run....the kids forgot how to turn the television on without the remote control......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sad thing is, you would have gotten the same questioning look if you mentioned the 8 track player!

Great story! BTW, what do you do when you lose the remote....

Bill Avila said...

Good question. The kids give me this blank look when i tell them they have to get "UP" to turn the TV on....