Friday, June 5, 2009

Connor, Me, and the Highlander movie...


I'm going to let a secret out of the bag. My son Connor is named after Connor MacLeod from the Highlander movie. How could I not....a sword wielding immortal whose only goal is to behead those of other immortals in order to win the "prize". (oops, don't think my wife wanted me to mention that part) I digress! I was so looking forward to watching Highlander with Connor and even played it out in my mind:

Dream Sequence
Connor: "Daddy, thanks so much for naming me after such a cool studly man who is just like you!"
Me: "No problem son, I'm glad to have done it"

Reality
This weekend Connor and I sat down to watch the movie. His first thought..."Why is Connor MacLeod wearing a dress?" I tried to explain...it wasn't a dress, it was a kilt! Moments went on..."Daddy, his kilt has lots of colors..like a girls dress." I explained to him that a kilt represented the colors of their family name. Connor looked at me with a puzzled look.
"Do we have family colors for a kilt?" I paused the movie and explained to him the Connor Macleod was Scottish and as our family originated from Spain we didnt wear kilts. To WHICH my son followed up by saying "daddy, im very confused. You named me after a guy who comes from a country where guys wear kilts? But...our family is from Spain...I dont understand...why am I named after a Scottish person...?" I looked down...and he walked out of the room. After thinking about it I hit the play button and watched the rest of the movie.

Bill
Your Hispanic Crusader

No comments: