Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I once had a dream...

Soon after my sister and father died Elaine and I started the process of adopting my two nieces. We used up most of our savings and investments in order to pay for the travel, adoption expenses, funerals, etc., I remember the feeling of stress come over me...wondering..can I do this? It was during this time that I had a very vivid dream.

My Dream


I was standing at the base of a bridge and my father was standing next to me. We started walking up this very sturdy looking bridge. The bridge was empty but as I started to walk up the bridge I would notice more and more abandoned cars. As we continued our walk the bridge was starting to look old and worn. At one point the side walls of the bridge were gone and I panicked, as I am afraid of heights. As we continued our walk I would look down and notice that I could see through the bridge and that there were holes everywhere. I remember stopping and looking across the bridge as it would become more and more difficult to walk. I recall starting to walk back and my father calling out to me. He said to me "I need you to walk over this bridge and I need you to be careful and mindful so you don't fall through the cracks and holes." I remember having a feeling of despair - since I'm terrified of heights - this walk was not going to be easy. And lastly I remember him saying "I can't go with you, but i know you can make it".

Since then I've tried to look to this dream for inspiration. My wife and i went from 4 children to 6...overnight. I had lost 2 family members within 6 months. But like my father advised...I've been mindful of the potholes and cracks and I watch my every step.

No comments: