Friday, February 26, 2010

Is this your car?



Some time back some friends and I went out for lunch. The food and fellowship were great but it was time to get back to our respective jobs. On the way back to the parking lot we noticed a car that had a SC license plate with a header that read "Normandy". There were three of us at the time looking at the license plate. We were unaware of the older couple walking toward us leaving the same restaurant. We were standing behind the car while they made their way to the car. I asked, "were you at Normandy?" The wife proudly said, "Yes, he sure was." At the time I asked the question several other people were walking from their cars to the restaurant and overheard the conversation. They stopped and stood with us...I would say there were about 7-8 people standing by their car. From a distance I'm sure it looked like we were about to jump this poor couple but that was far from what was happening. It was a pretty cool moment, I stepped forward and shook his hand thanking him for his service to our country. The other men behind me either shook his hand or saluted him. One person, stepping forward, saluted saying "welcome home soldier." To my friends and family in the military I thank you more then the words on this page could ever express.

No comments: