Friday, April 2, 2010

Shoot'em....after all...they're illegal!

Driving into the office this week I turned on the local talk radio program. Usually this is a big mistake since I'm easily agitated by the two hosts of the morning show. The topic this time around was illegal immigration and the two hosts were talking about the various way's to keep illegals out of the state and out of our country. To my surprise, and really why am I surprised, callers would discuss how we should protect our country from the illegals coming in. One caller mentioned, "Get your guns!" Get your guns? Am I to understand that killing people crossing the border is an acceptable act? Am I to understand that the very same people who are disgusted by abortion would easily dismiss the life of an illegal because their life is so much less of value? Am I of the understanding that any person crossing the border suddenly deserves a bullet in between their eyes?






Let me clarify some points in order to make my position clear. I am against illegal immigration. However, let's be clear, I am against illegal immigration for some very specific reasons.



  • As a person with a rich history rooted in Mexico and crossing into Spain I know what Latino's are capable of. We are a people that do NOT deserve the crumbs of what society has to offer. When i hear and see Latino's working jobs for very little pay I see a culture that has singled out the Hispanic as a "below pay grade" culture. I know we're capable of great and wonderful things.

  • Tougher laws and military presence at the border. Latino's are a hard working group of people. If brought in legally we can change the perception that people have of us.

  • Tougher laws against those hiring illegals. Remove the element that equip illegals from crossing the border. Stiffin penalties and shut down businesses that do not comply. Here's the deal. We are not a culture that deserves the scraps laid before us by employers. We are a culture of hard working people who deserve the opportunities that this country has to offer..but..we need to change the perception and get to this country legally.


My disgust, as of late, has been the attitude that people hold toward illegals. As a Christian I am asked to love my neighbor....the Bible doesnt say love your "legal" neighbor but to simply love..your..neighbor. A lesson learned from our ole Sunay School days...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY well written Bill! I am in complete agreement! I've never really thought of it from this perspective.

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} said...

(I guess Anita means what she says ;)
I too, think that Latinos are hard-working, brilliant, innovative people, and for us Americans to view them as some sort of substandard race really ticks me off! We have some wonderful Latino neighbors, on either side of us. Give-us-the-shirt-off-their-back type of people. What's wrong with treating others the way that we'd want to be treated? They do.
Great post, Bill.
Got me thinking (which may be dangerous).