Saturday, August 29, 2009

A journey into cross training...

I thought I would write down some thoughts from the past 9 weeks of cross-fit training. It's my insight into a journey I started almost 9 weeks ago.

Week 1: Pain...all I can say is pain. Brian, my trainer, is patient and vibrant. When I took the intro class I wasn't sure if I would like it. It lacked all the cool equipment that the other gyms had. However, I was in for a rude awakening. By the end of the first week I could barely walk and felt as though I needed a walker to get be through most of the day. Brian wants me to try 4 days a week and work myself up to 5 days a week. I wake up at 4:30 am and am at the gym by 5:00.....ugh....

Week 2: Another week down. Ugh. Brian wants me to do a food log. I told him him I was ready to try 5 days a week. He was all for it. Continued soreness in my legs and quads. Oy...This Week worked out the abs to the point where my stomach muscles finally said "dude, what are you trying to do to me!"

Week 3: Turned in my food log and started my 5 day a week training. Brian gave me some friendly chastisement and some needed advise. He wanted soda out of my daily routine as it had no nutritional value at all. (Since this day I have had no drinks of soda of any sort) Additionally fast food was out of the picture...totally. So I have started making my lunches at work which include a whole wheat sandwich and a plate of steamed veggies. Additionally my snacks consist of some type of fruit usually a banana or apple. Continued soreness all over.

Week 4: Brian corrected some of my eating habits with some adjustments to added protein during my lunch hour. Additionally he wanted me to add some protein bars during my snack times - usually around 10:30 am and 2:30 in the afternoon. This is the first week I haven't felt as sore as I was in the beginning. I can actually walk upright!

Week 5: When i started with the gym they took a body comp which they would monitor every 4-6 weeks in order to determine where I'm losing inches and weight. I was extremely pleased :) I dropped 10 pounds. Additionally I dropped 3 inches around my chest, 1 inch on my neck, 1 inch on my waist, and 1 inch on my bicep. I'm pretty stoked! I continue to watch my eating and drink lots of water.

Week 6: This week was insane (in a good way!) By the end of some of the routines I couldn't even hold the starting weights anymore....Learning a lot about self-discipline and how much of my attitude is based on my expectations for myself. A lil sore this and my arms feel like noodles.

Week 7: So far im down 2 belt notches and my clothes are feeling so loose. I don't think anyone really notices the weight loss but thats cool...I'm doing this for me and my family. Plus my wife's constant flattery gives me additional motivation to keep going. Felt some pain in my sides as I was doing one of the exercises. Wasn't hurtful more like a cramp. Brian explained how muscles will cramp up when deprived of oxygen and he also tought me some stretches.

Week: 8 Another week down! It's almost sad that I enjoy my weekend but can't wait for Monday to roll around to start my work out all over again. This wasn't a bad week. The squats and the step exercises are becoming fairly routine and i haven't had any cramping when doing my crunches. I'm finally sleeping through the night and the fact that my wife is throwing lots of winks my way isn't bad either :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went through a similar program and lost a significant amount of weight. however, I was not so diligent to keep it off. I am back at my starting weight. After the trainer is gone and the healthclub membership expires and life happens, then comes the true test...Will you be able to keep it off.

Weightloss programs,&Physical Trainers to the over weight person, is like the Rhab facillities and the intervention guy is to the drug addict,

We never look at being over weight due to glutton-ous eating as a sin. But it is.
A drug addict needs a Rehab place, and an accountability partner to help him through the detox stage and encouragement not to use again.
An overweight person needs a weightloss program and a physical trainer to limit food intake, educate and encourage a healthier life.

Both are very effective and needed. However I think the source of the problem is much deeper than the outward appearance.

Its not a health problem, its a sin problem. And the only way to deal with sin is through the Blood of Jesus Christ.

I started to ask God to forgive me and grant me repentance from this sin called gluttony. the Pounds did not miraculously fall away, but my mind has been renewed and my heart has been convicted in choices I make about what I eat.

My hope was to encourage you because you are a brother in the Lord. thank you for the opportunity to share with you my journey of weight loss.

Rejoicing with you on your recent weight loss, and would like to further encourage you to check out sparkpeople.com I recently joined myself. I believe having a connection to people who have the same goal in mind keeps one motivated.

Praying for a victorious life.
~Eloisa